Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Favorites



When Bridget shared that quote about how the right way to do something isn't necessarily the way everyone else does it, I started thinking about all the other inspirational quotes and phrases out there.

I, like most people, love quotes and can easily spend hours reading through books and web sites full of motivational words. The thing about them, though, is that you can read or hear one and  feel like you're having some life-changing epiphany, but then 10 minutes later you've forgotten what it was even about.
Some stick with you, however, and can become mantras you actually try to live by. I'm not very good at remembering any, but here are five quotes that have stuck a little longer than others and that I try to remember or re-read when I need a little motivation.

1. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

I know, I know, overused much? This used to get nothing but an eye roll from me, but that's probably because I didn't fully understand it. Now I am finally realizing the beauty and truth it holds.


Source

2. “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
This is usually associated with Mother Teresa, but then I saw an angry website that said she did not say this, so I don't know who to credit. Anyway, I think this is a wonderful thing to remember. Just because I probably am not going to go on and do major acts of service or change hundreds of people's lives doesn't mean I should just not try at all. Small, everyday things really do mean more than we give them credit for, and everybody doing small things adds up to a lot of great things going on.


Source
3. "Yesterday you said tomorrow."

I don't know if this originated from Nike or not, but when I see this on my Pinterest board after skipping yesterday's workout and contemplating skipping today's I get my butt off the couch (eventually). It doesn't only apply to working out, though. Enough with the procrastination!


4. "Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." -Albert Einstein

I always get caught up in wanting to have a successful career and distraught over the fact that things aren't going the way I hoped. I should be focusing on asking myself if I am of any value to anyone - employers, husband, friends, family, people in need? Hello, isn't this most important? I need this stamped on my forehead or something.

Source
5. "You’ve got to experience failure to understand that you can survive it."

I know thousands of people have said this in a variety of ways, but Tina Fey said it in an interview with Seventeen in 2008, and since she is my hero (and Liz Lemon is my soul sister) I am using her version of it.

I am good at failing at things but not good at accepting failure if that makes any sense. It is good to know even the best of us fail at things, that it is a part of life, and I will be okay and maybe even a little stronger.


Hopefully you now have a little inspiration to carry into your weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment