Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A glimpse into the life of . . .

                   ABRA COLEMAN
Abra is a group fitness instructor at the gym I work at, and while I’m excited to feature her for everyone’s sake, I also chose her for the selfish reason of learning more about her myself. When I first started working there, I was captivated by the energy and enthusiasm she radiates going to and from her classes. 

Her influence on her students is obvious when I watch them all leave, sweating and smiling like crazy. I have yet to take one of her classes, since I am usually working when she’s teaching, but I look forward to (and dread – she works you hard!) the day when I finally can! 
She also teaches yoga and yoga sculpt at the Calhoun Beach Club, works as a real estate agent, in sales and events for Athleta and is a volunteer yoga instructor at the Shakopee Women’s Prison. She’s also a recent empty nest mother of three whose eyes light up when she’s talking about her children – what she considers her greatest accomplishments.

I’ve gotten to know her a little better, and I’ve got to tell ya: if you’re having one of those days and looking for someone to join you in a pity party, Abra is not your woman. But if you’re having one of those days…or any day…and looking for someone with a positive outlook on life who is going to tell it to you straight, give you a better, clearer perspective and offer support in any way she is able, Abra is definitely your woman.

Here are a few more goodies from someone whose greatest passion is “building community through teaching” – how could you not learn a thing or two?

Dream job: My dream job is to have my own studio that provides community, yoga, juice, food and education.

First job ever: Waitress.

First job after graduating/first "grown up" job: Mother, real estate agent.

What drove you to pursue real estate: Money. I was getting divorced.

What is your favorite part about your job(s)? Connecting, sharing, inspiring.

What is the most challenging aspect? Compensation.

What advice do you have for someone pursuing a similar career path? Go for it. Find/follow your passion; then it doesn't feel like work.

What motivated you to become an aerobics/yoga instructor? I love fitness and groups.

What is your favorite part about being an instructor? Witnessing transformation.

What is your favorite way to work out? Yoga and yoga sculpt.

Source
What advice do you have for people new to the fitness world? Strength and flexibility are available to anyone who wants it. It takes time and commitment. It is a process - you don't get to the end at the beginning.

What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Good question! I am not sure. I probably would not have listened anyway:)


How do you define success? Success is a feeling inside that is peaceful and productive with ease and energy.

Who has been your biggest influence, personally or professionally? My grandmother.

Source
What hobbies do you enjoy in your spare time? Family, friends, food and wine.

Number one on your bucket list: I'll get back to you on that!

Favorite ice cream flavor: Ben and Jerry's Greek yogurt banana.


Thanks, Abra!

No comments:

Post a Comment