Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Resolutions: Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't deny a brand new year is the perfect opportunity for setting new goals or just refreshing your life - challenges, dreams and all!

I don't usually set official resolutions because I'm too afraid I won't reach my goals and it'll be one more thing I've failed at. Well, forget that attitude! This year I do want to set some concrete goals to work toward, so here goes!

1. Run a half marathon. I ran a 5K with my younger sister a few years back, and it was fun, but I have always been so turned off by races.


Running surrounded by hundreds or thousands of other people running? No. Thank. You. Running is my 'me' time, and I don't like other people getting in my space. However, I do enjoy running with family members sometimes, and the more blogs I read, the more fun races are beginning to sound, so this year I want to try it for myself.

2. Eat smartly. I don't want to make a lame goal like 'lose weight' or 'get skinny' or 'stop eating sugar.'

Source
I do want to get better at making smarter choices - thinking before eating, paying attention to my mental state before digging into anything, learning more about where my food comes from, learning when and how to splurge, not beating myself up for splurges, etc.

3. Practice cooking. It is really no exaggeration to say I cannot cook to save my life. Yes, I can read and follow directions, but that is not all there is to cooking, and I do not appreciate people telling me this.

Source
 I just do not have the magic touch - or the edible touch. I do believe I can get better with practice, but I never make the time for it. This year I will.

4. Find a charity/cause/nonprofit organization I believe in and become regularly involved with it. I always, always, always tell myself I need to focus more on helping others than on myself, but I get so overwhelmed with how many organizations and causes are out there, I just completely give up. So productive, I know. This year I will do my research, find something I want to support and then actually support it! 

Source
5. Think kind thoughts. It's easy to be polite to people - co-workers, friends, strangers. No problem. But sometimes what's going on in my head is a completely different story.

Source

I'm not proud to admit it, of course, but it's true and something I need to fix.

 6. Try or learn something new.

Source

 It could be anything from trying a new fitness class or technique, learning a new hobby or studying a different county or culture. I never want to stop learning.

I have a couple of other more personal/spiritual goals I will be working toward this year as well, but I think I've come up with a pretty good (and hopefully doable) list I am excited about!

Hopefully you also have some new goals to accomplish in this new year! Good luck to you:)

1 comment: